Close Menu
SportyVibes.live –

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    25 Core Exercises That Will Help You Build Stronger Abs

    August 29, 2025

    Police invite Adamu over threat to Gov. Sani’s life

    August 29, 2025

    Women’s Super League previews No 5: Everton | Everton Women

    August 29, 2025
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • 25 Core Exercises That Will Help You Build Stronger Abs
    • Police invite Adamu over threat to Gov. Sani’s life
    • Women’s Super League previews No 5: Everton | Everton Women
    • Matthew Hayden recalls Neville brothers cricket skills: ‘Gary was gutsy little player, Phil was all class’ | Cricket News
    • Venus Williams claims first US Open doubles win since 2014 with Leylah Fernandez | US Open Tennis 2025
    • Khabib Nurmagomedov names Shavkat Rakhmonov among Islam Makhachev’s toughest tests
    • The 10 Best Running Shoes for Plantar Fasciitis, According to Podiatrists
    • Children offered chickenpox vaccine on NHS
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
    SportyVibes.live –SportyVibes.live –
    • Home
    • News
    • Cricket
    • Combat
    • Fitness
    • Football
    • Basketball
    • Tennis
    • Gear
    • Highlights
    SportyVibes.live –
    Home»News»Ofcom head calls age checks a ‘big moment’ for child online safety | Internet safety
    News

    Ofcom head calls age checks a ‘big moment’ for child online safety | Internet safety

    sportyvibesBy sportyvibesJuly 13, 2025No Comments4 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Reddit Telegram Email
    Ofcom head calls age checks a ‘big moment’ for child online safety | Internet safety
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    The UK’s chief media regulator has promised age verification checks will prove a “really big moment” in the battle to keep children safe online, even as campaigners warn she needs to take tougher action against big technology companies.

    Melanie Dawes, the head of Ofcom, said on Sunday that the new checks, which have to be in place later this month, would prove a turning point in regulating the behaviour of the world’s biggest online platforms.

    But she is coming under pressure from campaigners – many of them bereaved parents who say social media played a role in their children’s deaths – who say the new rules will still allow young people to access harmful material.

    Dawes told the BBC on Sunday: “It is a really big moment, because finally, the laws are coming into force.

    “What happens at the end of this month is that we see the wider protections for children come online. And so what we’re expecting to see then is that any company that shows material that shouldn’t be available to under-18s, pornography, suicide and self-harm material – that should be either removed from their service or they’re going to need highly effective age checks to screen out under-18s.”

    She added: “It is a very big moment for the industry, a very serious moment.”

    Melanie Dawes (left) said age checks were ‘a very big moment for the industry’. Photograph: Jeff Overs/BBC/PA

    The rules, which come in on 25 July, are the latest elements to be enacted from the Online Safety Act, which the Conservatives passed in 2023.

    That act was brought partly in response to criticism from campaigners such as Ian Russell, whose 14-year-old daughter, Molly, died in 2017 from an act of self-harm after viewing several thousand pieces of online content relating to depression, self-harm and suicide.

    Tory ministers removed sections of the bill in 2022, however, amid an internal row over whether it went too far by banning certain types of content deemed to be “legal but harmful”.

    Russell, who has previously called the act “timid”, said on Sunday he was worried about how it was being enforced by Ofcom. The regulator has told technology companies they can choose how to carry out verification checks, but will assess how well they are working.

    Russell said: “The Ofcom PR is often spun such that it sounds like everything will change for the better in a matter of weeks. But I think it’s quite clear that Ofcom, as a regulator, needs to do more than just be good at spinning their PR. They need to act within the bounds of the act in the strongest possible way, and they’re not doing that.

    “They’re sitting in the middle, pushed on one side by families who’ve lost people, like me, and pushed on the other side by the power of the big tech platforms.”

    skip past newsletter promotion

    A weekly dive in to how technology is shaping our lives

    Privacy Notice: Newsletters may contain info about charities, online ads, and content funded by outside parties. For more information see our Privacy Policy. We use Google reCaptcha to protect our website and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    after newsletter promotion

    Ian Russell, a bereaved father who now campaigns on child internet safety, said he was worried about the act’s enforcement. Photograph: Joshua Bratt/PA

    Russell called on Dawes to use her position to put pressure on the government to take tougher action against technology companies.

    Some critics have accused ministers of leaving major gaps in regulation, for example by failing to act on misinformation.

    A committee of MPs argued last week that social media companies incentivised the spread of misinformation after last year’s murders in Southport, helping to fuel the riots that followed. Chi Onwurah, the Labour MP who chairs the science and technology committee, said the Online Safety Act “just isn’t up to scratch”.

    Dawes refused to call for powers to tackle misinformation, however, saying: “If parliament decides to widen those towards mis- and disinformation, or wider issues around addiction for the kids, for example, then, of course, Ofcom stands ready to implement that.”

    She did, however, take aim at the BBC following the row over its coverage of Glastonbury and whether it should have continued to broadcast footage of the band Bob Vylan after its lead singer led the crowd in anti-Israel chants.

    “The BBC need to get a grip quicker, get these reports and investigations [into the incident] concluded sooner,” she said. “Otherwise there is a real risk of a loss of confidence in the BBC.”

    Age big calls checks child Internet moment Ofcom Online Safety
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Previous ArticleHow Gov. Otu’s strategic ties with Presidency spur unprecedented federal Projects in Cross River -Akiba, aide
    Next Article The Best Movie Opening Scenes, Definitively Ranked
    sportyvibes

    Related Posts

    News

    Children offered chickenpox vaccine on NHS

    August 29, 2025
    News

    Parents of children killed in Annunciation Catholic school shooting speak out

    August 28, 2025
    News

    Public broadcasters say emergency-alert funds are in danger : NPR

    August 28, 2025
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    Lisa Nandy removes herself from final decision on leader of football regulator | Lisa Nandy

    June 2, 202554 Views

    Beat writer doubts that the Lakers can land Walker Kessler

    June 12, 202522 Views

    Mubi, A Streamer For Cinephiles, Is Now Officially Indispensable

    June 2, 202512 Views
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • TikTok
    • WhatsApp
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
    Latest Reviews
    Football

    Robertson returns as County stick with manager Cowie

    sportyvibesJune 2, 2025
    Highlights

    Spanish GP: Max Verstappen admits George Russell crash ‘shouldn’t have happened’

    sportyvibesJune 2, 2025
    Highlights

    Max Verstappen-George Russell collision: F1 world champion admits move ‘was not right’

    sportyvibesJune 2, 2025

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest tech news from FooBar about tech, design and biz.

    Most Popular

    Warriors add sharpshooter in second round of new NBA mock from Yahoo

    June 2, 20250 Views

    Erin Blanchfield rips Maycee Barber after UFC Fight Night cancellation: ‘She needs to fix her life’

    June 2, 20250 Views

    Eagles have $55 million in dead money salary cap

    June 2, 20250 Views
    Our Picks

    25 Core Exercises That Will Help You Build Stronger Abs

    August 29, 2025

    Police invite Adamu over threat to Gov. Sani’s life

    August 29, 2025

    Women’s Super League previews No 5: Everton | Everton Women

    August 29, 2025

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Disclaimer
    • Get In Touch
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms & Condtition
    © 2025 sportyvibes. Designed by Pro.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.