Close Menu
SportyVibes.live –

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    The Prediction: Washington vs. Colorado State

    August 29, 2025

    Cricket World Cup League 2: Namibia v Scotland abandoned despite fire on pitch

    August 29, 2025

    NANS rejects FG’s passport price hike

    August 29, 2025
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • The Prediction: Washington vs. Colorado State
    • Cricket World Cup League 2: Namibia v Scotland abandoned despite fire on pitch
    • NANS rejects FG’s passport price hike
    • UFC CEO Dana White confirms event at White House is on after meeting with Trump administration
    • REI Labor Day Sale 2025: 28 Best Deals on Clothing, Shoes, and Gear
    • 2025 Fantasy Football Breakouts 4.0: Jamey Eisenberg is targeting these 20 players in all Fantasy drafts
    • U.S. court finds most of Trump’s tariffs are illegal : NPR
    • Football gossip: Isak, Hojlund, Beier, Baumgartner, Brooks, Akanji, Disasi, Tsimikas, Zinchenko, Hincapie, Donnarumma
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
    SportyVibes.live –SportyVibes.live –
    • Home
    • News
    • Cricket
    • Combat
    • Fitness
    • Football
    • Basketball
    • Tennis
    • Gear
    • Highlights
    SportyVibes.live –
    Home»News»Why has Kamala Harris’ Secret Service detail been withdrawn?
    News

    Why has Kamala Harris’ Secret Service detail been withdrawn?

    By August 29, 2025No Comments5 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Reddit Telegram Email
    Why has Kamala Harris' Secret Service detail been withdrawn?
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Bernd Debusmann JrBBC News, White House

    Getty Images Kamala Harris at a podium with three Secret Service agents in the background during a trip to Zambia in 2023. Getty Images

    Unlike former presidents, vice-presidents are not guaranteed protection for the rest of their lives.

    President Donald Trump has cancelled former Vice-President Kamala Harris’ Secret Service detail, seven months after she left office following her unsuccessful presidential campaign.

    By law, the US Secret Service provides former vice-presidents and their families six months of protection after their terms end.

    That term, however, can be extended, which former President Joe Biden reportedly did before leaving office.

    The move already has caused controversy, with both California Governor Gavin Newsom and Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass calling it politically motivated.

    Here’s what we know.

    Why did Biden extend her security?

    So far, neither Biden nor Harris have commented on the reasons for extending her security past the mandated six months. CNN reported that Biden extended it for one year with a previously undisclosed directive before leaving office.

    From a legal perspective, Biden was within his rights to do so.

    According to a law enacted in 2008, the Secret Service can provide protection to former vice-presidents, their spouses and any children under the age of 16 after leaving office.

    While the law states that the protection should not extend any more than six months, the secretary of homeland security has the authority to order “temporary protection” in situations where “information or conditions warrant such protection.”

    Ronald Kessler, an author with expertise on the Secret Service, told the BBC that “if you set aside political implications, it’s just standard practice.”

    Does Harris face enhanced risks?

    Sources familiar with the current situation have told CBS, the BBC’s US news partner, that a recent threat assessment did not uncover anything alarming to warrant extending Harris’ security arrangements.

    But some in Harris’ team reportedly worried that as the first woman and person of colour to serve as vice-president and as a candidate in a contentious, emotionally charged election, she faced additional threats.

    A number of threats against Harris were made public during her time in office and as a presidential candidate in 2024.

    Several men were arrested and charged with making online threats against her in 2024, for example, and in 2021, a Florida woman pleaded guilty to making threats against Harris and admitted she sent videos to her imprisoned husband in which she displayed firearms and said that a “hit” could be carried out within 50 days.

    In March, after Harris left office, a Florida man also was arrested after allegedly threatening to kill her with a sniper rifle.

    Mr Kessler, however, said that compared to other politicians Harris “hasn’t stirred up that much as far as I can tell.”

    “I think it’s a sound judgement on the part of the Secret Service,” he added.

    The removal of Harris’ detail comes just weeks before she is scheduled to begin a multi-city tour to promote her book, 107 Days, focused on her short-lived, unsuccessful presidential bid.

    According to Mr Kessler, such an operation would further stretch an already overburdened and undermanned Secret Service. In September, the agency also is responsible for international dignitaries and VIPs at the United Nations General Assembly in New York.

    “That would require maybe a dozen Secret Service vehicles all over the country to follow on her big tour,” he added. “That’s a big drain on the service.”

    What elements of security are being taken away?

    Secret Service protection extends far beyond the agents that drive a protectee, and protect them and their immediate family.

    Additionally, the Secret Service is tasked with securing homes, such as Harris’ Los Angeles residence, including installation of security systems and alarms. Agents pre-emptively identify and monitor potential threats, including those sent electronically or via social media.

    It is unclear how much those protections cost, and the Secret Service has not published that figure.

    Private security for well-known celebrities, VIPs and business leaders can easily reach millions of dollars per year, depending on the level of threats and protection required.

    Meta, for example, reportedly paid over $23m (£17m) for Mark Zuckerberg’s personal security in 2023, including $9.4m in direct security costs.

    Is this political retribution from Trump?

    After the removal of Harris’ detail was announced, some of her allies and Trump’s political detractors immediately characterised the move as politically motivated by the president.

    Trump already removed Secret Service protection for former allies and foes alike, including Hunter and Ashley Biden, children of the former president; and Anthony Fauci, former director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

    Several former Trump officials and allies also had their protections revoked, including ex-Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and John Bolton, a former national security adviser who had become a vocal critic.

    “The safety of our public officials should never be subject to erratic, vindictive political impulses,” Bob Salladay, spokesman for California Governor Gavin Newsom, told CNN.

    Mr Kessler said that the “severely undermanned” Secret Service likely is refocusing its efforts on more immediate threats, such as those faced by Trump and members of his administration.

    “President Trump may have been gleeful to do this,” he said. “But there are real sound practical reasons”.

    Only one other former vice-president, Dick Cheney, is believed to have Secret Service protections extended after leaving office, by then-President Barack Obama.

    Are the rules different for former presidents?

    Unlike past vice-presidents, those who served as president have security for life, unless they choose not to.

    In 1994 – to save costs – Congress moved to limit protection for ex-presidents and their spouses to 10 years after they left office.

    But in 2013, President Obama signed a law again mandating lifetime protection. Today, this applies to George W Bush, Bill Clinton, Obama and Biden.

    Only one president, Richard Nixon, is known to have chosen to forego the security offered, in 1985.

    At the time, members of his staff told the New York Times he did so to save the agency money.

    detail Harris Kamala secret service withdrawn
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Previous ArticleFighting Irish vs. Miami national picks
    Next Article Ibas exposes gaps in state staff audit

    Related Posts

    News

    U.S. court finds most of Trump’s tariffs are illegal : NPR

    August 29, 2025
    News

    Reaction to US visa ban on Palestinian officials ahead of UNGA | United Nations

    August 29, 2025
    News

    What It Was Like Inside Syria’s Most Fearsome Prison

    August 29, 2025
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    Lisa Nandy removes herself from final decision on leader of football regulator | Lisa Nandy

    June 2, 202554 Views

    Beat writer doubts that the Lakers can land Walker Kessler

    June 12, 202522 Views

    Mubi, A Streamer For Cinephiles, Is Now Officially Indispensable

    June 2, 202512 Views
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • TikTok
    • WhatsApp
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
    Latest Reviews
    Football

    Robertson returns as County stick with manager Cowie

    sportyvibesJune 2, 2025
    Highlights

    Spanish GP: Max Verstappen admits George Russell crash ‘shouldn’t have happened’

    sportyvibesJune 2, 2025
    Highlights

    Max Verstappen-George Russell collision: F1 world champion admits move ‘was not right’

    sportyvibesJune 2, 2025

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest tech news from FooBar about tech, design and biz.

    Most Popular

    Warriors add sharpshooter in second round of new NBA mock from Yahoo

    June 2, 20250 Views

    Erin Blanchfield rips Maycee Barber after UFC Fight Night cancellation: ‘She needs to fix her life’

    June 2, 20250 Views

    Eagles have $55 million in dead money salary cap

    June 2, 20250 Views
    Our Picks

    The Prediction: Washington vs. Colorado State

    August 29, 2025

    Cricket World Cup League 2: Namibia v Scotland abandoned despite fire on pitch

    August 29, 2025

    NANS rejects FG’s passport price hike

    August 29, 2025

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Disclaimer
    • Get In Touch
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms & Condtition
    © 2025 sportyvibes. Designed by Pro.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.